iPrep is an alternative schooling concept initiated by our superintendent, Mr. Alberto Carvalho, who sought to meet the digital and real-world needs of 21st-century learners. He believed an environment where open-concept classrooms, the latest technology, and real-world applications are at the center of student learning. The first iPrep Academy was opened at the Downtown district offices in 2010. Felix Varela Senior High School, with a reputation of academic excellence through our AP Program, was chosen to open an iPrep campus and continue the ideals of this unconventional learning model.
Why Should You Choose iPrep at Felix Varela?
- School-within-a-school setting: iPrep students have their own building on campus where they can build relationships with cohort members and faculty
- MacBook Air laptops kept throughout four years
- Alternative seating
- One-on-one advising with counselor and magnet lead teacher to build strong college transcripts
- iCafe: Students can enjoy their own intimate lunch area with refrigerators and microwaves
- A comprehensive high school experience for all students offering a full spectrum of clubs, sports, honor societies, and activities
- Varela’s location next to West Kendall Baptist Hospital provides medical career exploration opportunities
- Twenty-five AP courses offered on campus
- Opportunity to gain AP Capstone Diploma while still being a part of the iPrep program
Eligibility Requirements and Application
- 2.5 unweighted GPA in core courses
- 2.0 average GPA in conduct
- No more than 10 unexcused absences or 20 tardies in the previous year
- Honors Physical Science
- Honors Algebra I
- Students can earn Honors Algebra I and Honors Physical Science credits on Florida Virtual School. In order to meet eligibility requirements, please mail or fax (305-386-8987) proof of registration from the FLVS to Felix Varela Senior High School.
Link to Application: http://yourchoicemiami.org/magnet-applications/
All iPrep students are required to complete a full school year of an executive Internship. This internship provides students the opportunity to gain exposure to a career of their interest, develop a mentor relationship with community leaders and professional, network with professionals and other students, and gain the necessary leadership skills sought after by university organizations and employers.
- West Kendall Baptist
- Animal Clinics
- Elementary and Middle Schools
- Publishing House