What is Veterinary Science?
Felix Varela’s award-winning premier career academy is tailored for students who want to learn how to care for and treat a variety of animals. Students engage in hands-on applied learning activities and take part in clinical practicums totaling 500 hours. Students engage in STEAM projects yearly, and graduate as a Florida Veterinary Medical Association Certified Veterinary Assistant at the culmination of their senior year.
Why Choose Veterinary Science at Felix Varela Senior High School?
- On-site Land Labs: indoor kennel and outdoor dog recreation area, working barn, and equine paddock
- 100% passing on FVMACVA certification since the inception of the program
- Hands-on experience from the onset of freshman year
- Yearly mandatory interest-driven project aimed to expand classroom knowledge
- Opportunity for gainful employment while studying in the program through the Youth Summer Internship Program and Adult Mankind Organization First Wages Program
- Partnership with Redland Rockpit Abandoned Dog Project Rescue to assist in rehabilitation and fostering of dogs on campus
- Partnership with South Florida Veterinary Foundation who sponsor force-free dog training
- Part of a full-service comprehensive high school experience which includes superior academics, junior varsity and varsity sports, clubs, and activities
Florida Veterinary Medical Association Certified Veterinary Assistant (FVMA CVA)
The Veterinary Science Program offers a sequence of courses that provide rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources career cluster.
|Year 1||Veterinary Assisting I|
This course is designed to develop competencies in areas such as the history of the animal industry, applied scientific and technological concepts, safety, terminology, careers, breed identification, animal care and human relations skills.
|Year 2||Veterinary Assisting II|
This course is designed to develop competencies in the areas such as basic first aid, scientific and technological, tools and equipment, breed identification, and functions of systems.
|Year 3||Veterinary Assisting III|
This course is designed to develop competencies in the areas animal digestive systems, animal breeding, animal control, animal overpopulation, animal related laws, and breeds.
|Year 4||Veterinary Assisting IV & V (Executive Internship)|
This course is designed to develop competencies in the areas of animal welfare and rights, research, record keeping, disease, and parasites.This course is designed to develop competencies in the areas of grooming, effects of captivity of exotics, genetics and biotechnology in reproduction, diagnostic and therapeutic testing, surgical preparation, and pharmacology.
Eligibility Requirements and Application
Veterinary Science Requirements:
- 2.0 unweighted GPA in core courses
- 2.0 average GPA in conduct
- No more than 10 unexcused absences or 20 tardies in the previous year
- Honors Physical Science
**Students can earn Honors Physical Science credits on Florida Virtual School. In order to meet eligibility requirements, please mail (email@example.com) or fax (305-386-8987) proof of registration from the FLVS to Felix Varela Senior High School.
Link to Application: http://yourchoicemiami.org/magnet-applications/
Varela Vet Program welcomes you to the “Varela Farm and Kennels“
Meet Ava Dean one of our very own “Varela Therapy Dog”