What is Nursing?
This four-year, hands-on program offers a unique opportunity for students to work under the supervision of a Licensed Healthcare Professional with real world hands-on experience that will prepare them for a career in the Nursing Industry. Student characteristics should be a caring heart, patience and compassion for others. In this academy, students will learn effective communications skills, as well as twenty-two hands-on skills to be prepared and performed in a State Exam for a Certified Nursing Assistant license, along with a theory test.Students are required to complete 40 hours of clinical training at a Nursing Home with residents prior to completion of course.
- Certified Electrocardiograph Technician
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- CPR Certification
- Year 1 (Freshman): Health Science Anatomy and Physiology, this course is part of the Secondary Health Core consisting of an overview of the Human Body, both structurally and functionally with emphasis on the pathophysiology and transmission of disease. Medical terminology is an integral part of the course.
- Year 2 (Sophomore): Health Science Foundations (CPR Certification), this course is part of the Secondary Health Core designed to provide the student with an in-depth knowledge of the health care system and associated occupations. Emphasis is placed on communication and interpersonal skills, use of technology, ethics and the development of the critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Students may shadow professionals throughout the course.
- Year 3 (Junior): In this course year (After completing prior two courses) students will take the Nursing Assisting. The students will be trained with hands-on experience in the lab as well as in a Nursing Home Facility. At the end of this course-year completion students will take a State Exam and upon passing the exam, students will be fully licensed by the State of Florida Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Year 4 (Senior): In the first half of the school year EKG Technician program course (After completing prior two courses) students will be prepared to learn a foundation in the Cardiovascular system, safety measures, and training in the appropriate theories and instruments used by an Electrocardiograph Aide. (EKG Technician) Students will take a State Exam, and upon passing the exam students will earn a Florida State License.
- In the Second half of the school year students will take the Home Health Aide program course learning patient care, safety, nutrition principles, and rehabilitation services. Students will receive a Certificate upon completion.
Eligibility Requirements and Application
- 2.5 unweighted GPA in core courses
- 2.0 average GPA in conduct
- No more than 10 unexcused absences or 20 tardies in the previous year
- Honors Physical Science
- Honors Algebra I
**Students can earn Honors Algebra I and Honors Physical Science credits on Florida Virtual School. In order to meet eligibility requirements, please mail (email@example.com) or fax (305-386-8987) proof of registration from the FLVS to Felix Varela Senior High School.
Link to Application: https://form.jotform.com/202965165190053